So I have a confession. I am obsessed with mango sticky rice. When I went to Thailand for vacation, I honestly ate this dish every single day. I know it’s really not good for me given the amount of sugar that is in it. I always wanted to make it myself so I can use my own “healthier” sugars. For my “healthier” sugars, I used both erythritol and xylitol. I just randomly experimented with the ratio based on how much sugar I had of each, so there’s room to play around with that aspect. (Here’s a link if you want to know more about erythritol vs. xylitol)
One reason why it took me so long to finally make mango sticky rice was that I couldn’t find Thai sticky rice for the longest time! I finally found it at my local Whole Foods in the “weigh your own” ingredients section.
Recipe (adapted from Epicurious)
- 1 1/2 cups Thai sticky rice (dry)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup erythritol
- 3 tbs xylitol
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted lightly
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices
- sesame seeds garnish (optional)
1. In a bowl wash rice well in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Soak rice in cold water for at least 1 hour.
2. Cook rice in rice cooker in 1:2 ratio for rice:water.
3. Save 1/3 cup coconut milk and place to the side. While rice is cooking, in a small saucepan bring the remaining amount of coconut milk to a boil with 1/3 cup erythritol and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat. Keep mixture warm.
4. Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and stir in coconut-milk mixture. Let rice stand, covered, 30 minutes, or until coconut-milk mixture is absorbed. Rice may be prepared up to this point 2 hours ahead and kept covered at room temperature.
5. While rice is standing, in cleaned small pan slowly boil remaining 1/3 cup coconut milk with remaining 3 tablespoons xylitol, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and chill until cool and thickened slightly.
6. To serve, mold 1/4 cup servings of sticky rice on dessert plates. Drizzle desserts with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Divide mango slices among plates.